Sunday, November 25, 2012

Sandwich Bread

I *sometimes* buy bread at a standard grocery store bread and I will admit that while pregnant and after my pregnancy up until now, I've taken advantage of the pre-made bread. Mainly it was due to time and trying to figure out what to do with a baby that every 2-3 hours had wanted food, always wanting attention, and demanded that drop what I was doing to fix whatever was wrong with her. Thankfully, she crawls now so I have it a little easier as I have been able to set her on the floor and let her play leaving me the opportunity to actually do something in the kitchen.

That all being said, I've finally had a chance to get back into the grove of doing what I love which is actual cooking in the kitchen. Granted, I have a 8 month old kiddo that is holding onto my pant leg and standing up while beating on a cabinet.. but she graciously allows me to work. Kinda.

I love this bread for sandwiches and it is awesome for at least a week out on the counter. The recipe will make 2 loaves of bread and I normally freeze one loaf  to allow us to have bread for about a week and a half.


Standard loaf of bread runs about 1.50-4 bucks a loaf. Depending on what type of bread you are buying. Making ones own bread will run about .90 cents a loaf. My recipe makes two loaves.

Honey Whole Wheat Bread:


4.5 cups white flour
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup milk
1 cup water
3 tabl coconut oil
1/2 cup honey
1 tabl salt
1.5 tabl yeast
1 egg


In a medium microwave safe bowl pour the honey, milk, water, and coconut oil. Place in the microwave and cook at 50% power for 1.5 minutes. It should be warm and the coconut oil does not need to melt if it was solid upon placing in the microwave.

Place half of the flour, all of yeast, and all of the salt in a large mixing bowl. (or in the stand mixer bowl) Mix well and then pour in the liquids. Mix well with a wooden spoon for 5 minutes or with a paddle attachment for 3 minutes with a stand mixer.

Add the rest of flour to make a stiff dough. If you are kneading by hand then turn out onto a floured surface and knead for 7 minutes or until the dough is pliable. Or! Put a dough hook on your mixer and let it go at a 2 or 3 power for 3-4 minutes adding flour if needed to make a soft dough that pulls away from the edges of the bowl and forms a solid mass that the hook kneads.

Either method cover with plastic wrap in the original bowl and allow to rise covered for 1-2 hours or until it has increased in size to double.

Punch down and then form into 2 loaves and place in greased loaf pans. Allow to rise covered for another 1-2 hours or until doubled.

Place in a pre heated 420F oven for 35-45 minutes or until tapped sounds hollow.

Put them on cooling racks and you are done!





No comments:

Post a Comment